DBT STAR COLLEGE SCHEME
The Star College Scheme was initiated by DBT in 2008 to support colleges and universities offering undergraduate education to improve science teaching across the country. This Scheme was launched for improving critical thinking and encouraging ‘hands on’ experimental science at undergraduate level in basic science subjects. On a larger perspective, the scheme was initiated envisioning that it shall encourage more students to take up higher education in science. Through this scheme the Department identifies colleges with potential for excellence and provides support for developing infrastructure for academics and laboratory activities. The institution was selected under star college scheme in the academic year 2017-2018. Departments of Botany, Zoology, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics are currently supported under the scheme. A central lab facility was established with the help of this scheme in 2018. A range of programs including expert lectures, hands on training, field trips, workshops, internships etc were conducted in these years in supported departments.
Objectives of Star College Scheme:
- To strengthen the academic and physical infrastructure for achieving excellence in teaching and training.
- To enhance the quality of the learning and teaching process to stimulate original thinking through ‘hands–on’ exposure to experimental work and participation in summer schools.
- To promote networking and strengthen ties with neighboring institutions and other laboratories
- To conduct specialized training programmes for faculty improvement for optimizing technical capabilities
- To increase capabilities of core instrumentation resources by procuring new equipment and upgrading of existing facilities
- To provide access and exposure to students to research laboratories and industries in the country
- To help in devising standard curricula and Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) / kits for practicals
- To provide better library facility to students and teachers