The Department of Economics was established on 2nd September, 1968 under the guidance and leadership of able teachers like Prof.Damodaran Nair, Prof. Job, Prof. K.C Pylee etc. From 1974, the department functioned under the motivating leadership of (late) Prof. Rebecca Mathen, Prof.Thankam, Prof. Esther Mary Francis, Sr. Electa and Sr. Reethamma V.A. The department has functioned in close association with the department of history and the department of Political Science. The objective of the Department is to equip students with conceptual and theoretical tools, as well as quantitative and qualitative techniques, which will help them to analyse current economic trends and phenomena. The department strives to maintain quality by focusing on student strength and allow them to develop their own epistemological standpoint.with special emphasis on secular outlook and moral values.
- B.A Economics (CBCS)
- Open Course-Fundamentals of Economics
- Choice based Course- Business Economics
- Certificate Course- Public Administration
With the objective of empowering both students and faculty through various academic as well as non academic programmes on recent developments in the discipline and to sensitize them on socio economic issues, the department initiated the Planning Forum, the Human Rights Forum, and the Electoral Literacy Club.
Focal point of the Department include
- Seminars/Workshops/Conferences organised by the Department
- Mother Magdeline Annual Lecture Series
- Outreach Programmes
- Mother Isabel and Prof.RebaccaMathen Inter Collegiate Education Fest.
- Entrepreneurship development programme/ exhibition cum sale
- Research Projects
- Peer learning Sessions
- Remedial teaching
- Field visits
- ICT enabled teaching
- Economic Surveys