Department at a glance
Introduced in the year 1968, the Department of Chemistry, is one of the premier departments of the college offering complementary courses for Zoology and Botany. The degree course in Chemistry started in 1995 offering B.Sc Degree in Core Chemistry with Mathematics and Physics as complementary subjects.
The Department strives to inculcate in students a scientific curiosity, enhance technical skills and sensitise them to social and environmental issues through various programmes in the department. Well equipped with ICT enabled class rooms and modernised laboratories, the department strives to inculcate research mentality in students. The Department’s strong record of achievements is based on its advances in chemical research, success in incorporating these advances into classroom teaching and its close relationship to society through extension activities.The Department constantly engages students in skill development programmes and short-term training programmes offered by industries and research institutes.
With the intention of redefining environmental consciousness and reviving the environment the department of Chemistry has started a go green initiative under the name “XAV CARE”. Under this enterprise each student of the Department is a ‘go green ambassador’ spreading the message of the importance of going green for a sustainable and greener future. The Department has already adopted microanalysis procedures for organic lab sessions.
5 year Integrated MSc Programme in Basic Sciences – Chemistry
Key features of the course:
- Integrated MSc in Basic Sciences is equivalent to (B.Sc + M.Sc.) Chemistry Course.
- Research oriented programme
- Includes Mini projects & Soft Skill Training
- Internships in Research Institutes and project
- CSIR-UGC exam oriented Curriculum
- Eligibility criteria: A pass in plus two level or equivalent with Chemistry as one of the optional subjects
- Career Prospects after the course: One can perform in various roles such as Scientist, Researcher, Chemist, Forensic Scientist, Lecturer or a Consultant
- Core Course
- Complementary Course for Physical Science
- Complementary Course for Biological Science
- Open Course in Forensic Science
- Choice based Course in Polymer Chemistry
- B.Voc Course in Culinary Arts and Hospitality Management
- Add on Courses.